Certification Requirements for School Therapists

February 15th, 2018 | Posted by bbarr in Education Services

One would think that licensure/certification requirements would be pretty much the same for every state in the U.S. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Since licensure/certification is a states’ rights issue, every state have the authority to set its own standards and requirements for legal practice in that state.

And practicing in a school setting may add some additional requirements established by the state department of education.

Because there are several professions practicing in schools, note that each profession has its own certification standards and requirements. So, given that, you can bet that there is room for lots of confusion for those who are seeking employment in a school setting.

Here is some advice. Be informed. Check with the state department of education AND the professional licensing board in every state where you seek to practice. Get the information directly “from the horse’s mouth”.

You can also check the internet for information. Every professional state board has a website that gives requirements for licensure—both initial and renewal.
Every state has a website for its department of education. Plus, every profession has a national organization which publishes information about certification on its website. All of them give contact information by which you can seek clarification or ask questions.

If you are interested in working in a school setting, let us know. We have of opportunities for SLPs, PTs, OTs, and School Psychologists in lots of interesting places—some in faraway places and some closer to home. Contact us for more information.

Leave a Reply