So You Want to Be a Traveling School Therapist

June 25th, 2018 | Posted by bbarr in Education Services

For those school-based therapists and psychologists who love to travel, there is an option for you! You can be a traveling contract school therapist/psychologist! If this sparks your interest, then there are a few things you should be mindful of.

When you have decided on the location of your next assignment, it is important that you contact the appropriate state board that governs your practice as soon as possible. Each state has a board and each state has its own set of laws and rules that mandate your particular practice and licensure requirements. There are some states in which a school-based therapist must also attain certain educational certificates.

Here are a few tips to help ensure a smooth licensure process and to improve your chances at getting your desired assignment location:

  • Check with the appropriate state board immediately after you have selected an assignment location.
  • Make sure you understand all the requirements that the state mandates for licensure—this includes tests of laws and rules, fingerprinting, continuing education requirements, and education verification.
  • Call and ask how long it will take to process a licensure application. What is communicated on the state board website may not be current.
  • Before submitting your finalized application, make sure all the forms are filled out completely and all supporting documents are included.
  • Give yourself 4-8 weeks processing time for licensure.
  • Contact the professional school that granted your degree. Request that they submit your transcript to the board.
  • Follow-up on the licensure application regularly until the license is granted.
  • Only you can get information from the board. Board personnel will not speak to anyone else due to privacy concerns.

If you are interested in learning more about traveling school therapy or psychology positions, contact us at We would love to help you discover all the opportunities there are to work with school kids and explore the country.

Leave a Reply